Balticon 54 Art Show / Print Shop Rules
All artwork must have a science fiction, fantasy or fannish theme and be the original product of the artist(s).
Resale of works by previous buyers is not permitted. Art sales do not include reproduction rights.
The following media will be accepted for the Main Art Show:
- Paintings ‐ acrylics, watercolor, oil;
- Drawings ‐ chalk, ink, crayon, pencil, dye;
- Jewelry ‐ all forms;
- Sculpture ‐ wood, stone, metal, clay, acrylics, glass, fabric;
- Weaving & Textile ‐ all hand forms only;
- Ceramics – hand & thrown ware; Self‐created molded items limited to runs of 100, marked item # / run #.
- Decorative Crafts ‐ leather, metal, wood, glass, stone, plastic.
The Main Art Show will not accept:
- commercial multi‐lithographic copies, unlimited photoprints or photocopies of any kind, hand colored or remarked prints;
- commercial ceramic molds, painted commercially cast pieces, kits of any kind
Print Shop will accept:
- commercial multi‐lithographic copies, unlimited photoprints or photocopies, hand colored or remarked prints.
Items using patterns or designs by others must credit the second party.
Fine Art Photography & Computer Generated Art must fit within the following guidelines and be labeled:
- Unique Image – Data Files Erased, Negative Destroyed or Data / Negative Archived; or
- Limited Edition Print – Data Files Erased / Negative Destroyed or Data / Negative Archived.
True Limited Editions / Multiple Original Category (With a print run of 250 or less):
- All hand-pulled prints, serigraphs, photographs, silk‐screens, etchings, lithographs, woodblocks must have the following clearly visible information written or printed on the print itself.
- Artist’s signature
- Title of the piece, Date
- Print # / Run #.
Items that violate copyrights or which are judged to have libelous content in regard to known persons or well‐known characters will not be permitted. All decisions of the Art Show Directors on the eligibility of artwork are final. Please ask if you have questions.
Balticon uses a space-based hanging fee system. Space is available on panels and tables.
Tables are 6 feet long by 18 inches deep. An artist may reserve a whole table, or part of a table. The smallest increment of Table space that can be reserved is called a Portion. For tables, the Portion is a quarter of a table: 18″ by 18″.
Panels are 6 feet wide by 4 feet high. Art show panels and Print Shop panels are the same size. An artist may reserve a whole panel, or part of a panel. The smallest increment of Panel space that can be reserved is called a Portion. For panels, the Portion is one third of panel; divided vertically: 24 inches wide by 4 feet high.
The smallest increment of space that can be reserved is 1 Portion = 1/4 table or 1/3 panel. For example, an artist may reserve 2 portions of a panel, which will be 2/3 of a panel. To reserve a half table, choose 2 Table Portions.
To permit a variety of artists to exhibit at the Balticon Art Show, there is a limitation on the amount of space each artist may reserve:
- Attending Artists can register for a maximum of nine (9) portions, which can be a combination of tables, art show, and print shop panels.
- Main-in Artists can register for a maximum of four (4) portions, which can be a combination of tables, art show, and print shop panels.
Beginning this year, there is also a limit of 75 pieces per artist. This does not include copies of prints in the print shop, just the individual designs of each print.
Art Show Hanging Fees
(width x height)
|1/3 (2’x 4’)||1||$11|
|2/3 (4’x 4’)||2||$17|
|Full (6’x4 ’)||3||$22|
(width by depth)
|1/4 (18″ x 18″)||1||$7|
|1/2 (3’ x 18″)||2||$10|
|3/4 (4.5’ x 18″)||3||$14|
|Full (6’ x 18”)||4||$17|
Print Shop Hanging Fees
The only limit on the number of prints is what will physically fit inside the space you have reserved.
(length x depth)
|1/3 ( 4’ x 2’ )||1||$6|
|2/3 (4’x 4’)||2||$11|
|Full (4’ x 6’)||3||$17|
The Mail‐in handling fee is $8.00.
Other Important Information
Agents/Carriers: The artist must fill out & sign the Agent/Carrier section of the control sheet, or provide Agent/Carrier with a letter from the artist authorizing the agent/carrier to represent her/him at Balticon 54.
Disclaimer: While we fully intend these to be the rules that actually govern the Balticon Art Show, the Art Show Directors reserve the right to make changes or interpretations if unforeseen circumstances arise.
Art Show Space Is Very Limited: Exceptions to usual space allocation must be arranged with the Art Show Directors no later than 4 weeks before the Con.
All work entered must remain on display until after the Sunday auction begins, unless it is available for quick‐sale. Quick‐sale piece buyers are asked to leave them in the Art Show until late Saturday. Unsold pieces must be checked out by 5 PM Sunday. We do not have space to store packing materials or portfolios in the Art Show.
All payments to Artists will be made by check. All checks will be mailed within Sixty (60) Days after Balticon or the Artist will be contacted concerning their unreconciled paperwork.
Mail‐In work being returned will be shipped within ten days after the Con.
Please Pre‐Register by Mail or Online, before May 1, 2020. We will send the necessary paperwork to those who pre‐register by the cut off date. Registrations received after that date will receive confirmation by email or phone if space is still available.
For more information and online registration, see the main Art Show page.
The address for pre‐registration is:
- BALTICON ART SHOW
7820B Wormans Mill Rd.
Frederick, MD 21701
Special requests, problems or inquiries, please contact:
- Nora Echeverria: 240-375-5023 (10AM-11PM EST)
Anna Scott: 443-610-6496 (5‐11 PM EST)
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org