In person, virtual, or hybrid we can’t do it without you. First con or 50th, one hour or dozens, we need your help. It is a great way to meet other fans and help make Balticon a fun time for all.
This year, as a hybrid convention (in-person and on-line), we need more volunteers than ever. COVID-19 mitigation means we need to do more stuff (like videocast programming, serve food, and ensure distancing).
Stop by the Volunteers Desk in the fifth floor atrium to learn more about volunteering for Balticon.
Our volunteers would probably help without bribes, but we bribe
them you anyway. Minimum hours do apply.
- Cool nickname: Berzerker
- Free custom T-shirt
- Free membership for next year’s con
- Early, reserved seating for special events
- Berzerker Den with food
- Everyone welcome, we’ll accommodate all abilities
- No experience necessary – we’ll train you
- We’ll schedule around your needs and any events you want to attend
- We may need to assign you to jobs where we are short-handed. (We really don’t need 25 folks working the beer tasting party).
What do Volunteers Do?
- (Pre-Con) Help with publicity, social media, proofread/edit publications like BSFAN, write and run registration, handle logistics, and more
- Help us load in or out
- Staff our registration, information, special assistance, volunteer, sales, etc. desks.
- Design, install, and run our tech (lights, video, sound)
- Staff our con suite, green room, gaming room, video and anime rooms, and others.
- Help at the art show, masquerade, or charity auction.
- Ensure programming happens with planning or helping out in the program sessions.
- Run our operations and provide security (the hotel does the heavy lift on security).
- More than we can list, If we have an activity listed on the website menu we probably need help.
- Lots of Pre-Con planning, training, social media, etc.
- Help with programming
- Technical support for streaming and Discord. Expect training pre-con.
All our volunteers need to sign a release form prior to working at the con. A PDF copy is here if you want to print it out and bring it with you, if not we’ll have more at the Balticon Volunteer Desk.
You’ll also need to record your volunteer hours. Pick up a time sheet at the Volunteer Desk or download this time form PDF. Have your staff leader initial the hours you work. Get your B56 Berserker T-shirt at 10 hours, a second vintage tee at 15, and free membership for next year’s con at 20. Earn up to six double-counted hours for work done on Thursday or Friday (until noon), overnight, breakdown and unloading on Monday or Tues. Alternatively, we can reward 10 move-in hours (no doubling) with membership to this year’s con (either this year or next year, not both.) You’ll still get the shirts.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more info.