2021 Balticon Virtual LARP
LARP stands for Live Action Role-Playing, a kind of game or live theatre where the participants agree on a theme or scenario, choose their characters, and then act out the scenario by playing their characters in real time. LARP players pursue goals within an agreed fictional setting while interacting with each other in character.
Because Balticon is virtual this year, the LARP will be played in a Zoom meeting in the James room. If you want to play, please sign up using the form below. If you have other questions, contact Karen at firstname.lastname@example.org.
LARP 2021 Scenario
Forget everything you know about the world. People are not who..or what…you think they are. Magic is real. The supernatural walk among us. Like us, they are here to live and survive. Yet they too have their share of enemies…enemies, both unnatural and ordinary, who will stop at nothing to destroy them and their way of life. Join the 2021 Balticon Virtual LARP and enter a world of Urban Fantasy inspired by Harry Dresden where the likes of mages, vampires, fairies and dwarves hide in plain sight. Living. Surviving. Keeping magic alive.
|Day||Activity||Time (Eastern, UTC-4)|
|Friday, May 28||Registration||3 p.m. – 9 p.m.|
|Saturday, May 29||Registration and Opening Ceremonies||10 a.m. – 1 p.m.|
|Gameplay||1 p.m. – 2 a.m.|
|Sunday, May 30||Gameplay||11 a.m. – 1 a.m.|
|Monday, May 31||Closing Ceremonies||10:30 a.m. – 12 p.m.|
Register for the LARP using this form:
- What is a LARP?
A live action role playing game (LARP) is a form of role-playing game where the participants physically act out their character’s actions. The players pursue goals within a fictional setting represented by the real world, while interacting with each other in character. The outcome of player actions may be mediated by game rules, or determined by consensus among players. YES…REMEMBER IT IS JUST A GAME!!!
- Who’s in charge?
Game Masters (GMs) decide the rules of play and the details of the setting before an event takes place, and facilitate the LARP whole it is being played.
- How do I play?
- You are given a character sheet and a brief biography for the character. This bio is only a guide. Do not be afraid to adapt the character to fit more of the personality you want to play. Don’t be intimidated! Don’t be afraid to jump into the action! Your input is just as important as anyone else’s.
- Don’t wait for the story teller! The players drive the LARP. The GMs conform to the players, don’t wait for the GM to tell you the next move, jump in and tell the GM where you want to go.
- Don’t be afraid to change your location. If you feel your character should be with the group headed to the hospital but the people you are sitting with are in the police station, feel free to get up and sit with the hospital group. Move to where your character’s game play takes you. There are no assigned seats!
- Get as involved as you feel comfortable being. Do not let the over the top, full costumed guy on the end make you feel like you have to be involved in every die roll and every step… if your character is a wall flower in the beginning, don’t stress… you will jump in when you are ready.
- Just because you are playing the LARP does not mean you are tied to the gaming table. Just let a GM know that you are stepping out for a while and approximately what time you will be back. While we ask you stay in character during play, just let everyone know when you are speaking or acting out character.
- Keep in mind, you are not your character. Just because someone loves/hates your character, does not mean that they love/hate you personally. Remember… it is just a game.
- What is player knowledge?
Someone in 1983 would not know about the current president… This is Player Knowledge versus Character Knowledge. Just remember to play to the time period of the game. Also, if another character (Character A) is talking to a GM about something and you, after overhearing the conversation, decide to investigate the same thing but your character would be nowhere in the area of Character A: that would be player knowledge. You, the player, knows information but your character would not have that information necessarily because your character is not in the same area as the information. You are player a character, so try to stay in the head of your character.
- Since this is a LIVE ACTION role playing game… will I get hurt?
NO!!! There is to be no Physical Contact allowed between players that is UNINVITED. There are NO PHYSICAL COMBAT BATTLES. All combat will be a result of die rolls.
- What do the GMs really do if this is a character driven game?
Glad you asked!!! The GMs guide the game. We are there to:
- Resolve ALL combat battles: It doesn’t count if we are not there!
- Resolve player issues: Sometimes two people cannot agree. Hey, we are all human. A GM is brought in to make a decision. Don’t be afraid to grab one and voice a concern. ANY CONCERN!!!
- To help your character: If you feel stuck, overwhelmed, lost… don’t get frustrated… ASK A GM!! That is why we are there… we know more than the players about the plot and the background. Don’t be afraid to use us as a window to see where you should be going. Don’t try to write the plot… play the plot. Asking for a bit of guidance is so much more fun than feeling lost and confused. There are also seasoned players involved in the game. Speak up; they might be able to help as well.