Jack L. Chalker Young Writers Contest
The Baltimore Science Fiction Society is pleased to announce the winners of the 2023 Jack Chalker Young Writers’ contest open to all Maryland students aged 14-18. There was a bumper crop of 51 submissions! We thank all the authors who entered for their amazing, imaginative and well plotted stores.
The First, Second and Third place winners receive cash prizes of $150. $100 and $50. They and the Honorable Mention winners also receive a comp membership for themselves and their parents/guardians, a Balticon 57 T-shirt and a Certificate. Their stories will be available on the BSFS website for all to read and enjoy.
First Place: “When You Wake” by Mai-Anh Nguyen, Oakland Mills High, Howard County
Second Place: “Little Birdie” by Feiyang Shen, Dulaney High, Baltimore County
Third Place: “Saints and Sinners” by Jane Cox, Dulaney High, Baltimore County
- “A Public Service Announcement” by Liam Brune, Loyola Blakefield, Baltimore County
- “Straw Wings and Golden Things” by Gloria Liang, Montgomery County
- “The Ennui of A.I.” by Naomi McKenna, Laurel
In addition the following authors have won a one-day Comp Membership for themselves and one parent/guardian.
- “A Starfarer’ Tale” by Ransom Plaster, St Mary’s High, Annapolis
- “Blade to the Sea” by Emerald Xu, Dulaney High, Baltimore County
- “Clocking Out” by Kaitlyn Petroski, Dulaney High School, Baltimore County
- “Hypocracy” by Lorelai A Williams, Havre De Grace High
- “Reverie” by Sana Huda, Oakland Mills High, Howard County
- “Running Out of Time” by Zobiana Dillsworth, South Garrett High
- “The Short History of Death” by Jeremy Dakota Davis, Pikesville High